Watch Around Water
Watch Around Water Policy
To help address the concern regarding the supervision of children at public aquatic facilities, Salisbury Recreation Precinct has implemented the ‘Watch Around Water’ program.
This has been developed to educate the public about adequate supervision and to encourage parent/guardians to take on this responsibility when visiting a public aquatic facility.
Therefore the following safe supervision policies must be adhered to:
Children Under 5 Years Old
- Will be issued a yellow wristband from reception upon entry.
- Children under 5 years old must be constantly supervised by a parent/guardian.
- Adequate supervision requires the parent/guardian to accompany the child in the water and remain within arm's reach of the child at all times.
Children Under 10 Years Old
- Children under 10 years old will not be admitted without an appropriate parent/guardian. The parent/guardian must be 16 years or over and adhere to all conditions of entry.
- Children under 10 years old must be constantly supervised by a parent/guardian while in the aquatic area of the centre.
- The parent/guardian must position himself or herself to have a clear view of the child with no physical or structural barriers between them and the child.
Children 13 Years and Under
- Children under 13 years old will not be admitted without an appropriate parent/guardian. The parent/guardian must be 16 years or over and adhere to all conditions of entry.
*Unsupervised children (of any age) will be removed from the water if the lifeguard is concerned for their safety.
1. The supervision of children in aquatic facilities is not the sole responsibility of lifeguards
2. Lifeguards are employed on a 1:100 ratio; this is based on the expectation that parents will provide direct supervision of children
3. Parents are required to provide the constant and direct supervision needed for young children